Friday, September 12, 2014

I'm not a winter fan; give me summer anytime

Sorry folks. I know it has been awhile since I brought you a blog. But I've had a reason and still do. I spent the last 2 months battling problems with my heart. I'm still not up-to-par, but I'm trying hard.
Every season I get a little teary-eyed. I'm definitely a lover of the sunny, warm weather. Although the fall has lots of beauty with its stunning color changes especially on the leaves, it also reminds you of what's ahead. .
I guess that's why I like summer so much. In the spring, you know the sunny, warmer weather is ahead of you. OK, before you all start to sigh I know there are days that can be unbearable in the heat department, but you know snowflakes and cold weather are next.
When I was young and I mean in my youth I didn't mind the winter. I attended St. Peter's Academy (now Saratoga Central Catholic) and because of where I lived had to go through the part of Congress Park that was hilly. It also had and still does have a large circular cement staircase with wide cement rails around it. One of my favorite things to do during the winter months was slide down the somewhat icy rails. One time I slid so hard on the ice it took some of my skin off from you know where.
When I got home I could hardly walk, but knew my mother would be upset with me knowing I had slid down the cement staircase.
 She asked why I was walking funny. "Oh, I don't know," I sheepishly responded. Come over here she said and lifted my dress and started to pull down my panties until she realized they were stuck with blood. She never scolded me as she very carefully took them off along with some skin, as well.
That's how my mother was. She knew I had learned a painful lesson and wouldn't be sliding down those wide, cement staircases again.
Maybe, unknowingly that's why I'm not a big fan of winter. But right now I'm looking out the window and can see the beginning of the leaves turning to beautiful hues. So I'll enjoy what nature brings.
But I'm still a summer lover and I don't think that will ever change.
Now, where did I put my sweater? Today's got that autumn chill in the air.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home