Friday, July 25, 2014

Lend a hand. It's so rewarding

One thing's for sure: I'm not going to tell you about how I feel. I'm going to be positive.
Race season is always - or used to be - busy for me. When I was writing my Inside Saratoga society column for The Saratogian for 25 years I hardly missed a beat. I did slow up in my latter years and finally signed off - much to my dismay - at the age of 79.
Now I go to what I can, which is not too much anymore. I celebrate my 82nd birthday in September and sometimes wish I was back party-hopping. But that is now for the younger ladies, who are doing a fine job.
Today I sit at my computer looking out the window at the glorious sunshine. Other than a couple of 90-degree days and a few showers it has been ideal.
I haven't been to the Saratoga Race Course yet. Not because I wouldn't like to be, but I just don't get around as much as I used to. I'm envious of a few of my friends who bounce around like they are in the 50s or 60s. And mind you, they are mostly in their 90s or close to it.
I'm not an overly religious person, but I believe God has a slate with names on it and the dates that we will go to meet him. I just hope he waits a few more years for me to meet him. There are still things I want to do.
I want to get well enough to go back to volunteering at Treasures on West Avenue. For those who don't know what Treasures is you're missing out. It is run by Saratoga Hospital Guild volunteers and is open every Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. The store is filled with consigned and donated clothing in pristine condition for the entire family. As well as having household, books and other goodies.
I was volunteering every Tuesday up until some health issues set in. But don't worry I'll be back greeting you at Treasures as soon as I am able.
In the meantime, enjoy every day you can and give back to the community and don't forget to lend a hand where needed. It is so rewarding.
Until next time I'll keep chugging along.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I just want to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog and to tell you I used to love to read your society column.

July 25, 2014 at 10:25 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home