Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Stove Top dressing to the rescue

It has been a very long time since I had Thanksgiving dinner at my home. I usually travel with my husband to one of our children's homes. But this year we decided to stay home with one son and I did most of the cooking.
But here's what happened for the first time and I mean first time, I made or attempted to make the stuffing (dressing) or whatever you want to call it. For more than 30 years, my mother-in-law, who was a great cook, made her sausage stuffing. I never worried. But, my stellar accomplishments are baking especially the pumpkin or apple pies. Stuffing is not my thing. But I was willing to give it a try.
Manned with my sausage, onions, celery, spices, chicken broth and cubed bread I was ready to go. I had a special recipe from my Food Network magazine and I could just hear my husband and son saying "Lady" this is great.
But I made a big mistake. I bought two bags of sage and onion seasoned bread cubes, which I felt the more seasoning the better. WRONG!
It was so salty no matter what I did it just wasn't edible. Thank heavens I made it on Monday so I had plenty of time to rethink what I would do.
I'm ashamed to say Stove Top turkey dressing was my answer. After all all I had to do was add water, but I made it better by adding chicken stock and this time it was edible.
I guess I will stick to writing my Inside Saratoga column and this blog and invite someone to dinner next year and ask them to bring the stuffing.
Hope everyone will have a great Thanksgiving and the best tasting stuffing you ever had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home