Saturday, October 30, 2010

The beauty of falling leaves and the work that awaits

As I sit here at my computer writing this blog, I look out the window and see yet another leaf fall to the ground. They are gorgeous in color often painted by artists and used by designers as color choices for fall.
If you're a shopper there isn't a store that doesn't carry rust, gold and even red-colored turtlenecks, sweaters and jackets. It's not something new this year but every autumn.
I admit I actually love the colors and for many years took leafpeeping trips with my husband through the Adirondacks and the hills of Vermont oohing and aahing.
But now as I watch still more leaves fall to the ground, I think about my husband's daily chore blowing leaves off our driveway so we don't get buried beneath them. Here in Wilton we have to bag the leaves and they get picked up every Wednesday by the town. I can't remember when I started seeing those bags being sold in the supermarkets and Lowe's and Home Depot, but I know they weren't around when I was a child. I only remember jumping in the leaves even when they were in the road. What was I thinking? But it was so much fun.
My husband does have a mulching lawnmower, which according to an advertisement on television the mulched leaves make the best fertilizer for next spring's lawn. We haven't see an exceptional one yet. Maybe our soil isn't that great.
I am still trying to see the colorful leaves in a whole new light, but as yet another few fall to the ground, I'm having a difficult time thinking about more work before the snow flies. And then you know what that season brings!
My advice is don't look out the window while you're working on the computer unless you can see only the beauty in each falling leaf and not think about the work that awaits you tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home