Sunday, September 12, 2010

FDR: 'A date that will live in infamy'

Is there a person out there that doesn't remember 9/11? I just couldn't get it off my mind the other day.
But it did bring back another tragedy that happened many, many years ago when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.
I was only 9 years old at the time and had just returned from the movies. We could go with a friend at that young age back then without any worries. I had just returned home and as I usually did ran into the house to say I was home. My mom and dad were sitting close to our big floor model radio listening intently. My dad said to be quiet, the president is going to talk. Being only 9 years old, I wasn't sure how important that was, but looking at my parents faces I knew it wasn't something good.
All my dad said was the Japanese had just bombed Pearl Harbor. Of course, after some explanation I knew it was going to affect all of us somehow. Then President Franklin Delano Roosevelt was on the air and said: "A date that will live in infamy."
And, as someone who lived through World War 11 knows and will always remember it certainly was a tragic day that has lived with us forever.
Just like 9/11, Dec. 7, 1941 will always bring back memories. For those who did not live through that war or others since then just ask your grandparents.
Let's hope we never have to add another date. Can't we try to live in peace or is it just an unfortunate part of life. Today let's pray for any serviceman or woman who protect us. Without them we wouldn't be living as good as we do.
So, remember that when you complain about the little things that aren't so tragic remember 9/11 and Dec. 7, 1941.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home