Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Let's bring back the apron

Older folks, especially women will remember when their moms or grandmoms use to wear an apron. Aprons today I nearly a thing of the past. Too bad.
When I was growing up my mom not only wore one every day to protect her dress (yes, dress), but she was a talented seamstress who made beautiful ones and sold them. I had so many I cherished every one. Now my mom is gone and they are almost a thing of the past. I still have my holiday one she made me and I pull it out each season.
I recently came across this article and it brought back cherished memories.
I don't think our kids know what an apron is. Its principal use was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few and because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses.
But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven. It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears. In my case, mine always had pockets and they were great for hiding candy or cookies so no one knew I was eating that stuff. But, I found out later in life, everyone knew.
When the weather was cold, Grandma wrapped it around her arms. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.
It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.
REMEMBER: Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw. They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.
I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron - but love ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home