Thursday, September 5, 2013

Granddaughter's baby shower is one to brag about

Sometimes I wish the "Golden Years" hadn't arrived. Times when the back hurts; you get tired just bringing in the groceries; or you fall asleep in the chair during a movie you waited all week to watch.
But at other times being older has its rewards. One of them came last weekend when my husband and I traveled by train to the western part of the state to attend our granddaughter's baby shower.
What's kinda sad is I remember when she was born nearly 28 years ago. Now she and her husband, who live in Indianapolis, are going to be parents of a baby boy. Their due date is Nov. 22, which will be our 61st wedding anniversary. What a gift that would be. But chances are he will want his own birthday.
I look at Lauren now and can't imagine how fast she has grown up. She has her masters degree in education and teaches 3rd grade. And I can't help brag, she is a wonderful young lady who knows just how to handle her class. They, and the parents, love her. And I have proof.
Well, back to the shower. In my day the gifts would have consisted of a diaper pail for soaking cloth diapers; a crib sheet and cotton blanket (if you were lucky); a baby fork and spoon; and plenty of rubber pants and undershirts.
Now, it is more like you're opening a baby store. This shower was small compared to the one she is being given in later September in Indiana. Even though she received every necessary large gift: high chair, crib mattress, stroller, etc. I never knew there were so many adorable boys' outfits and so many neat items such as onezies, handmade blankets and pictures. Lauren has chosen elephants as the theme for her baby's room. So there was an elephant hamper and a neat painting done with a certain kind of shell in the elephant form. I could go on and on.

One last thing - well two actually. My daughter created the most beautiful decorations for her one and only daughter. She had everything decorated in blue (of course) that included balloons, a candy bar spelling out the baby's name, double-brownies with blue frosting and Italian cookies with blue frosting and a feast that was more like a restaurant opening.
The last thing that others may want to steal I thought was exceptional. On the original invitation it said instead of giving the usual baby card to replace it with a baby book. I don't think one person gave just one book. And, incredibly my granddaughter knew everyone. She said she was so thankful for the start of her baby's library. What a neat idea.
Now all I have to do is wait for the baby to arrive and I hope it's on my wedding anniversary. That would be the best gift ever.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

When a baby is born the most happy peoples are the parents but there are someone else who loves the baby more than the parents... and they are the grandparents... And for a grandparent the most precious moments are with their grandchildren. Great post... Thanks for the share...

http://goo.gl/NykAqx

November 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home