Sunday, June 2, 2013

Life can be successful if you work on it

John Gray's column in The Saratogian recently touched me. Although I really haven't had low times in my life except when I loss my parents and two sisters - not all at once, thank heavens. But what his column did do was make me recall what my life has been like all these years.
Now in my latter years of life, I often sit back and reminisce on how great it has been and continues to be.
 I went off to nursing school just out of high school. But I also had been going out with my now husband at the time. A short time later I had the strong urge to come home. My father was delighted to have his daughter back. Today thoughts might be different.
I continued to work full time at the phone company making a good wage for the times. And I also continued to date my future husband. It proved to be a test when he was drafted into the Army. But because of an old football knee problem he received a medical discharge only 40 or so days later. That's when he surprised me with an engagement ring.
We were still young so we continued to save our money until two years later we decided to tie the knot.
Now a little over 60 years later and four wonderful children - two girls and two boys we still feel the same. Oh, we're like most couples we've had our ups and downs, but always remained the same as we grew older.
Now we have been blessed with five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. And the latest news another great grandchild around our anniversary Nov. 22. What a gift that will be.
Life does work in strange ways. I feel I have had everything: children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, a wonderful job as an editor and society columnist for 40 years and best of all a man who still loves me.
I hope everyone out there can feel the same someday. It takes work but it's worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home