Monday, February 11, 2013

Looking on the bright side of winter

Here I sit at my computer awaiting the time to leave for a covered dish luncheon. A broccoli cheese casserole is heating in the oven. My donation to the luncheon.
Oops, just received a computer message from the president of the club I belong to that due to some possible nasty weather the luncheon is postponed or may even be cancelled for awhile. We'll see. The only good thing is my vegetable dish is already for dinner. So there is always a silver lining.
I try my darnest to think positive about the winter weather, but I must say it isn't that easy. When I was younger I took it in my stride. Then when my husband retired after 40 years with GE we spent 21 years going to Florida for the winter. That is until 2010 when we were lucky to sell our condominium.
My husband was deemed legally blind - something he has accepted far more than I could. He can no longer drive his car. So, I am of course the designated driver.
The Association for the Blind has helped tremendously. It was his opthomologist, Dr. Paul, that contacted them.
A lovely woman came to the house with all kind of gadgets to make his life easier. He has a large lighted magnifying glass which he uses all the time to read the paper. And even glasses that look like binoculars for watching TV.
She put larger letters on our computer keys. Gave him a calendar with large lettering and even all kinds of kitchen utensils to make his life easier. And, I must admit I use them too.
The bottom line why should I complain about the cold weather or any storms. He has much more to handle than I do.
I promise to look on the brighter side no matter how difficult it can be at times.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol | a cup of mascarpone said...

Hi JJ! I just got around to catching up on your last few blog posts! They're all so interesting and fun to read! Keep them coming, Mom! xox

February 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM 
Blogger Kathleen said...

It is good to think that there are resources out there for your husband. And he has you!

February 20, 2013 at 10:54 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home