Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Race season is perfect for family members

When race season rolls around I'm excited. Not because I'm an avid horse fan, but because it's the time of year that family members come to visit.
Oh, I know they love me, but really it's the best time of year for them to see one another. After all I have four children, five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
This visit my son Paul and my grandson Greg and great-granddaughter Kinley came from Georgia. Kinley's mom Whitney also flew in with them. I was so excited. Kinley is 7 months old and this was the first time I met her. My daughter Donna Malkowich and her husband Dave drove from East Amherst (about a 4 and 1/2 hour trip) for the weekend. And my son Dan, who lives in town, also was here.
Each race season it is a golden opportunity for them to get together, attend the races, as well as see us. I have had as many as 12 here at one time. Sleeping arrangements are not that easy, but they don't seem to care. Wherever there's an empty coach,  2 large empty bedrooms on a first-come, first-serve basis with clean linens it all works out.
So when Saturday rolled around they all headed to the racetrack - baby too. My son Paul, who is an executive, was able to get a 8-seat table in the clubhouse. The reason I'm mentioning this is because baby Kinley was a sure winner. She's not a crier. In fact the minute I met her she smiled and that smile remained on her face nearly the entire time she was here.
Into bed she'd go about 8 p.m. and there was never a peep out of her until 7:30 in the morning.
As I said previously I have four children - two boys and two girls - and I think they were around 3 or 4 before they slept the entire night.
We even took her to a restaurant - a nice one - and everyone commented on her behavior. She smiled at everyone and sat like an angel. It was probably the best few days I've had in a long time.
At my age it isn't as easy to entertain. But everyone pitched in and until they left we were delighted.
Now that the loads of bedding and towels have been washed and dried the house is back to normal.
Quiet - sometimes too quiet. I just wish I didn't have to get older. It is getting more difficult to manage our stairs in our home, so our next move won't be as open to have a bunch of family members come at the same time.
I know life goes on, but sometimes I'd like time to stand still.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home