Saturday, September 21, 2013

Fall is here, can winter be far behind? Yuck!

I don't know what there is about it, I don't like the fall. Actually, that isn't really true.
I love the changing colors on the leaves; sometimes the warm autumn days and even pumpkins, scarecrows and tall cornstalks. And that's it.
After the heat of summer goes away for some reason every bone in my body shouts autumn and winter is on the way. My body knows. I'm telling you that is the truth. Maybe it has something to do with age - darn it!
But I don't let it get me down. This morning - as much as I didn't want to - I started exchanging my summer clothes for the fall and winter ones. What I really don't like are dark colors. I'm a bright-color wearing person.
The other night my husband and I were going out with friends. I was already dressed: winter white slacks with a fallish color blazer and white blouse underneath. My husband said the time had come to put the white pants away. I don't necessarily listen every time my husband speaks, but I do more often than not.
I got to get a little more backbone, but after being married for nearly 61 years it's a little difficult to change old habits. So off came the white pants and on came the black slacks. Ok, it did look better for the fall, but I'm still a bright-color person no matter what.
We all decided to try Augie's restaurant in Ballston Spa at its temporary site.
We weren't disappointed. Everything on the menu remained the same: the large portions of mainly delicious Italians dishes. One thing for sure I have enough leftovers so I don't have to cook all weekend. Maybe just make a nice green salad.
Augie was there to greet everyone. He's such a darn nice guy. All the waitresses were back at the helm being attentive with smiles and service as always. And, the place definitely seemed more spacious. We had a relatively long wait at the bar, but it didn't matter. Tory, the bartender at the old restaurant, hardly had time to breathe. But there's something about sitting at a bar that brings people together and it doesn't come from drinking. The time passes so fast.
Once seated, the four of us decided to share three appetizers - large enough to be dinner portions - and a main course enough so we brought the rest home. Augie's has always been known for portion size.
We ended by sharing the most scrumptious light cheesecake with raspberry sauce and to-die-for tiramisu. I feel the pounds already on my hips.
And, before you think Augie had anything to do with my praise, he has no idea.
For anyone who didn't know Augie's original restaurant - located in Ballston Spa - burned to the ground in August. He says he is going to rebuild. In the meantime we can enjoy his temporary site.
Maybe I shouldn't have written anything. I might have a longer wait to get in next time. They accept reservations for six or more.
So now that I have complained about the fall and upcoming winter season. I did end on a better note.
My new motto is bring on the cold weather. Who cares I'll cuddle up to our fireplace and watch my favorite sports on weekends  - mostly college and pro football. And all the Food Network offerings during the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home