Saturday, June 9, 2012

'I'll Have Another' day of excitement - without the champion

I had my day all planned. I made one of my husband's favorite dishes: stew beef in Italian sauce with fresh green beans and Italian bread for dipping.
The plan was to sit down and watch I'll Have Another make history. Maybe! The older I get and I'm nearly 80, I should know everything doesn't work out as planned.
But no need to fret. The day's plans still are the same: watching races from Belmont and then the long-awaited big race - the Belmont (the third leg of the triple crown) - without I'll have Another. My choice now is either Union Rags or Paynter. I'll know it won't be the same without someone going for the triple crown, but it's still topnotch racing.
I always get excited when these days come along - whether it be the World Series, the US Open Golf tourney (which, by the way, starts Thursday), or the Opening Day of Saratoga. I am a sports fanatic.
So now that I just finished making the bed, cleaning the bathrooms and stirring the stew beef that is simmering gently on the stove, I'll put on my face and sit down for a day of excitement - in my eyes anyway.
Sorry about I'll Have Another. I hope he heals quickly and can move on to his next step fathering lots of thoroughbred future champions. In the meantime let's all be thankful in our "Golden Years" that we're still here to enjoy what comes around, and around, and around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home