Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My favorite Golden Girls

I know I'm one of the Golden Girls, but I think all of use have others we admire for one reason or another, I mean people from here who I would like to have a little of their energy and knowledge.

Socialite Marylou Whitney has been my idol for numerous years. First of all, she took me under her wing nearly 25 years ago when I first became a society columnist. I was scared to death to approach her or anyone of her status. There was no reason. She always treated me like an equal and over the years our friendship grew.

Jane Wait is another person I would like to glean some of her attributes. At her age and who's counting, she still finds time to devote to her Yaddo rose garden. She founded the Yaddo Gardens Association that brought back to life the grounds of Yaddo Mansion, the famed artists' retreat. As far as I'm concerned Jane is a rose with no thorns.

Anne Palamountain, former First Lady of Skidmore College, admits she is 86. In my eyes, she is more like 56. She travels all over the world. She volunteers and organizes all kinds of events especially the Skidmore gala at Saratoga Polo each race season. And she never says no. I hope I have learned just a smidgen of her grace and congeniality over the years and I'm still trying.

Last, but certainly not least, is Beverly Yunich of Scarsdale and Saratoga Springs. Beverly and her twin sister, Gloria, are graduates of Skidmore. That is where Beverly met her future husband David one weekend. He was attending nearby Union College in Schenectady. David, who has since passed away, eventually became the CEO of Macy's and many wonderful tales too tell.

But Beverly had her own talent. She created some of the most beautiful jewelry I've ever seen and sold to high-end department stores. But most of all, she is a kind, compassionate and gracious woman with more energy than I'll ever have. And I'm sure she won't mind me saying she is in her late 80s.

Well, that's it. Just a few Golden Girls among many I idolize. Maybe someday I'll be half the woman they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home